Did you know that the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center produces a weekly e-newsletter with upcoming disability-related events and opportunities? Or that Tennessee Disability Pathfinder and TennesseeWorks both offer information and blogs on disability-related topics? Access to these handy publications is free and only a click away on your computer.
Monday Morning Message
VKC Communications produces a weekly Monday Morning Message (MMM) e-mail that includes brief announcements of upcoming VKC-related lectures and events, research opportunities at Vanderbilt, and community happenings for families of individuals with disabilities. The message is formatted so that you can quickly scan it for what interests you.
To be added to the MMM distribution list, email VKC Communications coordinator Elizabeth Turner at email@example.com.
VKC Notables is a monthly e-newsletter to share stories about discoveries and best practices that are opening doors and transforming lives for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. Produced by the VKC Communications team as well as contributors from other VKC-affiliated programs, each Notables issue features 4-5 articles on research findings, services, training opportunities, products and resources, disability public policy activities, and more.
Notables is disseminated the first week of each month. Click here to subscribe to the monthly Notables newsletter.
Discovery is the VKC print 12-page newsletter issued 1-2 times a year. The next issue of Discovery, expected to mail in the next few weeks, will report recent VKC accomplishments.
Click here to view past issues of Discovery. Email Elizabeth Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and mailing address and “Discovery” in the subject line to be added to the mailing list.
Tennessee Disability Pathfinder provides free information, resources, support, and referrals to Tennesseans with disabilities and their families. Pathfinder offers a monthly e-newsletter, The Compass, which provides disability resources as well as news and stories from Tennessee agencies. Each newsletter addresses a specific topic such as “Back-to-School” or “Employment” and spotlights upcoming events from the Pathfinder calendar.
The Compass is available for viewing in English and in Spanish. Visit the Compass website to view the most current issue and to subscribe to receive the newsletter in your email inbox.
TennesseeWorks was formed in 2011 with the goal of strengthening state policies and systems to promote the employment of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Since then, connections with disability advocacy groups and organizations have been made across the state to engage communities and to promote gainful and meaningful employment among local businesses. TennesseeWorks staff regularly disseminate a monthly e-newsletter with success stories, public policy updates, the latest disability and employment news, blog posts, and more.
Click here to subscribe to TennesseeWorks’ e-newsletter.
A wide range of disability information is accessible at your fingertips through various VKC-affiliated websites. See below for descriptions of each, along with their respective links:
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center: Find print resources, access the VKC Events Calendar, search active research studies, and read the most current VKC news.
- Treatment & Research Institute for Autism Spectrum Disorders (TRIAD): Learn more about TRIAD’s autism services, view the TRIAD Activity calendar for upcoming workshops and sensory-friendly family activities, see what kinds of teacher training opportunities TRIAD offers across the state, and contact the Vanderbilt Autism Resource Line with autism-related questions.
- Tennessee Disability Pathfinder: Search the Pathfinder database to find services in your area, learn more about multicultural outreach opportunities in Tennessee, or speak with a Pathfinder staff member with questions regarding disability agencies and services.
- TennesseeWorks: Find helpful tools and tips to promote meaningful employment for Tennesseans with disabilities, get the facts on employment and disability in Tennessee, and view videos of success stories and interviews with employers and employees. Resources are categorized to serve self-advocates, employers, educators, families, and agencies.
- IDD Healthcare Toolkit: Search through printable resources to share with primary care providers on best practices in serving patients with intellectual and developmental disabilities, access online training opportunities, and review helpful watch tables for specific disabilities such as autism or Down syndrome.
Follow the VKC and its programs on social media. Facebook links are found on website home pages of the VKC, TRIAD, Tennessee Disability Pathfinder, and TennesseeWorks.
For more information about the tools and web resources above, e-mail email@example.com.
Elizabeth Turner is program coordinator for VKC Communications.